Sunday 4 November 2012

Blueberry pie

There were some culinary highlights this summer that I neglect to report, so here it goes... better late than never. This summer I was fortunate enough to be invited to the charming summer cottage of my friend and her family on the beautiful island of Löparö, just off the town of Porvoo. It was teeming with blueberries and raspberries, mushrooms, and heaven knows what else. I spent a lot of time picking blueberries, which is a wonderfully meditative activity. Time flies quickly and it is so much fun. There were so many blueberries this year that I could pick as fast as I liked and there were always plenty more to be grazed. Finnish forest blueberries, I must add, are special. They are relatively small, but full of flavour. Fresh blueberries, I believe, are best enjoyed as they are with ice cream, cream, meringue, or whatnot. But, due to popular demand, I also made my mother's recipe for blueberry pie. It's the same base as the rhubarb pie, but instead of rhubarb, I use blueberries. The end result is a marvelously juicy and sweet tart. Mommy knows best.


 

1 comment: