Wednesday 11 July 2012

Classic meringues

The moment I saw the merginue photos in the Ottolenghi Cookbook my mind was set on making them. The closest I've come to making meringues is when I made macaons, and though they came out fine in my gas oven, I remember that I had to be very careful with heating up the sugar to exactly the right temperature. Meringue recipes don't usually call for heating up the sugar, but Ottolenghi's does, and apparently it makes them extra shiny and crispy, or something. Anyway, the technique worked wonderfully, though I still need to find a way to lower the temperature in my gas oven even further. The lowest I could get it was 130C, which seems to be just a little too high as the meringues didn't come out snowy white, but cream coloured. I don't mind the pinkish cream colour, which is quite beautiful too, and they taste wonderful, but it would be nice succeed in making pure white treats too. 

Here is the recipe. It's very straight forward and easy. Enjoy!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment