Monday 5 September 2011

Plenty project: Burnt aubergine with tahini

I've been glancing at page 122 with longing since I made Lentils with grilled aubergine. The aubergine for Burnt aubergine with tahini is prepared in the same way: the aubergine is held directly over the flame of the gas cooker and turned around until it is totally deflated and the skin is burnt all over. After that the smokey-smelling flesh is scooped out and left to drain. This time we mix in water, tahini, pomegranate molasses (which I couldn't find and replaced with a 1:1 ration of lemon juice and honey), garlic, salt and pepper, parsley, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, and garnished with extra virgin olive oil, pepper and pomegranate seeds.
It was the first time a seeded a pomegranate so I turned to YouTube for some help. I found a fantastic video of a Persian woman using her aunt's method for seeding a pomegranate. Unlike all the other videos featuring an awful mess and splashings of water in a bowl, this woman works her magic by making some shallow slits into the pomegranate shell. It was very easy and worked well even for a beginner like me.


No comments:

Post a Comment