Monday 4 June 2012

Queen's gingerbread

I've never made gingerbread from scratch or panforte, so this cake combines two never-have's. Admittedly, this isn't the first thing you imagine when you think gingerbread, or panforte. Still, it has the characteristics of both. In celebration of the Jubilee, Dan Lepard published this recipe for Queen's gingerbread in the Guardian last weekend, which I promptly made. Lots of firsts went into the preparation. I've never used black treacle before or candied fruit. The list of sugars (yes, plural) for this cake is regal in itself, so this cake will have to be shared. I for one can't stomach more than a very thin slice of this at a time.

I have to admit I panicked a little when I pulled this out of the oven. You really have to let this cool completely. Now, a day old, it is actually starting to taste good. Last night, when it was still slightly warm, the sweetness left a bitter taste on my tongue and made me feel a little ill. It's much better now and my friend, who took home a few slices, said that it's perfect with a cup of tea. The recipe recommends some brandy, but I'm out, and not much of a brandy drinker anyway. This is one to try if you are crazy for gingerbread. But don't eat it on the day of preparation. It remains to be seen if it gets even better with a few days.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment