Monday 8 August 2011

Beatriz's rhubarb pie

This is the easiest pie in the world to make. My mother Beatriz has made pies from this dough recipe since I was a little girl, and I'm carrying on the tradition. I think I can do it blindfolded by now, and can also be made with apples and cinnamon, or frozen blueberries. A very Finnish recipe, I put about 400-500g of chopped rhubarb onto a bed of Beatriz's shortbread pastry (murutaikina). Half an hour in the over later, warm pie is served. I do like it warm, but especially when made with blueberries, I like to leave it in the fridge and see how it 'ages' as it gets so much more moist and luscious with every passing day. Fifth day pie is pretty amazing. I've never had any left to try sixth day pie.
A big thank you goes out to my neighbours Sanni and Mikko, who gave me five kilos of rhubarb straight from their own organic country garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment