Monday 29 August 2011

Macarons: Preparations

This week I will try making macarons for the first time. Friends say that they are quite simple to make, but require patience and precision. There's also the question of whether to make it with the 'Italian' or 'French' method of meringue preparation. I have recipes for both, and am oddly attracted to the more complicated (but apparently also fool-proof) Italian method. Here's a baking blog with recipes for both and an explanation of the difference between the two methods (in Finnish).
I went supply hunting today. All I really needed was a proper decorator bag and a tip for it. I got the tip and a reusable, machine-washable (!) bag from Kokkipuoti, hands-down the most beautiful and well-equipped cooking utensil shop in Helsinki. I also got some yellow food-colouring powder. The remaining ingredients I got from the Herkku foodshop; organic sugar, organic eggs, and this 'luxurious' lemon curd. Yes, you guessed it, I'm making yellow lemon curd-filled macarons.
Blog after blog recommends letting the egg-whites sit in room temperature for 24-48h before baking. I'm not taking any chances! Tomorrow then we'll see how it all works out. Miserable failure or jubiliant success?


No comments:

Post a Comment