Monday 1 August 2011

Summer treat: blueberries with quark and granola

Blueberries are in season now where I am. In Finland blueberries are very small, dark on the inside but intense and bittersweet flavour, much unlike the large and yellow-fleshed sweeter blueberries you get elsewhere. I buy one or two litres of them from the market each week. Sometimes I put them in my porridge, but my favourite treat is to enjoy them with a couple dollops of soft quark (rich in protein, low in calories) and Lizi's treacle pecan granola.

I am not a fan of the word 'superfood,' but nutritionists say that blueberries are the ultimate superfood. They contain loads of antioxidants (guards against cancer, heart disease, asthma, arthritis, etc), Vitamin C, fibre, flavonoids,... you name it. They'll keep your skin healthy and slow down your mental aging.

But who cares! The main point is that it is a most beautifully flavoured berry, a gift of nature.

1 comment:

  1. I do love blueberries, so much. For me, they are so nostalgic of dark cold winters and long hot summers in Finland, those precious moments when the whole family would leave our dreary gray home in London and visit the 'promised land' of salmiakki, rye bread and of course, blueberries. Indeed, my favourite foods have this little gem as a 'main' ingredient - mustikkapiirakka, and mustikkakeitto. YUM!

    ReplyDelete