Tuesday 23 August 2011

Plenty project: Warm glass noodles and edamame beans

I finally started my summer holiday - a little late, I know, but better late than never. I spent a bit of my first day of vacation to hunt for ingredients for my next Plenty dish: Warm glass noodles and edamame beans (recipe here). Surprisingly, a majority of them were available from my local supermarket. Glass noodles, though, were only in one of five shops (Stockmann), and not cheap. (Note to self: it's really time to do that excursion to Hakaniemi's ethnic food shops).

The dish, composed of a wonderful collection of ingredients, including root ginger, lime juice, and fresh red pepper, is delightfully fresh. I had fun trying out some new ones, like palm sugar and tamarind paste. The result was a beautifully fresh dinner. Ottolenghi suggests adding tofu or roasted peanuts to make the meal more hefty, but in my opinion it was already perfectly filling, leaving you feeling full but lightly so. It was one of the those foods that, though I was full, I kept eating just because it was so good... and I still don't feel like falling over! Anyway, I highly recommend this to anyone since it is impossible not to marvel at such deliciously warm freshness. It's also very healthy; edamame beans are packed with protein and Omega-3, amongst other things. Not to mention the goodness from the ginger, lime, and sesame seeds...


No comments:

Post a Comment